Joint Research Office
The Joint Research Office (JRO) has been established by Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust and the Faculty of Medicine at Imperial College London to deliver an integrated service to support investigators in both organisations. The aim of the JRO is to provide a single point of contact for researchers regarding research grant management, contracts administration and regulatory compliance. It also handles funding administration for the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR), and reports on NHS funding streams to the Academic Health Science Centre (AHSC) Research Committee and the funder, NIHR.
Support provided by the JRO
The JRO provides support and practical help to investigators and research teams, to:
- access funding for research and clinical trials;
- cost and price research proposals accurately;
- manage their work in compliance with contractual terms and conditions;
- meet regulatory requirements;
- obtain ethical approvals;
- negotiate funding agreements from industry; and
- account for their research funding.
Areas of JRO work
The JRO covers four areas of work:
- Pre-award: dealing with applications for funding and contract negotiations with industry.
- Post-award: setting up award budgets, monitoring spend against budget, invoicing and ensuring contractual changes are managed efficiently.
- Regulatory compliance: dealing with approvals, ethics applications and monitoring and oversight of clinical research.
- Output: capturing data about accruals and other patient-related information on research and accounting for NHS research funding streams.
Fast-track commercial contracting
The JRO provides a single point of contact for industry when they wish to engage with the world-class scientists and clinicians based at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust and Imperial College London who are involved in treating patients from a large catchment area. Having a single gateway enables this contracting for research studies to be conducted in one step. Using standard agreements and a fast-track process for commercially-sponsored research, the JRO can turn around agreements rapidly, ensuring rapid progression to the study.